Sunday, January 9, 2011

New Years Resolutions

As many of you already know, I've come up with quite a few ambitious resolutions for the new year and I feel inspired to share my experiences on how I accomplish them. Before I begin, here they are:

1) Do a triathalon on April 30th
2) Plant and harvest a garden
3) Re-learn my beginnners piano class and master it
4) Build an adequate supply of home-canned goods and food storage
5) Read the book of Mormon cover to cover.

WEEK 1

I ran every day and there's several things I've learned this week.

1) I am TIRED! Normally exercise gives me more energy but since I'm not used to such a high exercise regimend it wore me out! God knew what he was talking about when he made Sunday the day of rest.

2) I thought my feet were pretty tough. Well, they weren't. I find if I increase the intensity of my work-out enough my feet have to adjust. I didn't think I would get blisters anymore but I got them BAD.

3) Wearing your shoes right is EXTREMELY important. I hate tying my shoes so I did the lazy thing and tied them in such a fashion so I could slip them on and run. Now my big toenails are almost dead. Best way to fix that is to wear my shoes tighter and wear good socks.

4) If I really wanted to, I could run in the heavier weight division of the triathalon right now. HAHAHAHA! I got a big kick out of that. The heavy division is over 150 pounds. I'm sure if I keep training I will break under that but for now, I thought it was pretty funny.

5) My running time STINKS!!! I don't know why, but I am having the hardest time running 3 miles in 30 minutes. I'm not even close. It doesn't even make sense to me. When I was a teen, I could run 3 miles in under 30 minutes without even trying or practicing! I know I have several factors working against me. The biggest one is I had kids. They malled over my body and I just don't get quite as good a pick-me-up anymore. Although I finally decided not to let this running time thing get to me anymore. I don't time myself anymore and it's quite a relief. I have to tell myself that I'm not competing against anyone and I just want to finish my triathalon respectably (without stopping). Besides, it's not for almost another 4 months. What am I so worried about???

6) There is NOWHERE to swim! The nearest possible place is the Y, which is a 20 minute drive away and they currently only have a wading pool. It is possible to train up in it, but it would be a pain! They're lap pool doesn't open until March 1st. Still looking for more options.

Overall I'm having a few set-backs but I feel I'm off to a good start.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, you are amazing, any one of these setbacks would stop me dead in my tracks-you're amazing for persevering. Keep me posted on all your progress, I'm here to root for you! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know where a great pool is! Ha! Don't work too hard. Your boys take a great amount of energy and they need you. Miss you so so much. Love you!

    ReplyDelete